Thursday, July 23, 2009

Living with Light

Last night my Aunt Lannie passed away. She lost her battle with cancer after a long and grueling fight. My aunt and I weren't close in the sense that we kept in touch and saw each other often, but she was one of those people that whether you saw her eight minutes or eight years ago, the moment you saw her it was like you hadn't missed a beat.

She had a special way about her. She was the type of person who laughed with her whole soul, and let her love for life show through. She absolutely adored her family and, I think, passed on her zest for life to all of her children.

Lannie called me a few weeks ago, and when I answered the call I could tell her voice was tired, like she was reeling from a difficult fight. But as we talked more and more that spirit that I knew kept coming out. And even though I could sense she was worn out a bit, I got off the phone amazed at how even though she was in this battle, that sparkle, that joy, was still in her voice.

The unfortunate thing about death is that it doesn't spare the good ones. It doesn't spare the lives of the people who mean so much to their families and the ones who have so much more to give.

It is trite to say to live your life to the fullest, especially right after someone passes away, but I do think that the thing that my aunt Lannie taught me is to live with light.

Live your life with joy. Take company in your family and your loved ones. Take time to laugh with your soul because really, at the end of the day, that is what matters. Did you laugh and did you make the people around you warm with love and life?

My aunt had an uncanny way of doing that. No matter what when you walked away from time with Lannie you felt warmer, you felt that sense of love. Liz and I were talking and even though Liz had only met her a handful of times she made the comment that she always was so kind, so loving, like she had known her for years...and that was Lannie, the Lannie that I knew, to the core.

No comments: