Thursday, November 15, 2007

Who are You

One of my favorite TV shows is Scrubs, and the episode tonight was talking about knowing who you are and knowing your heritage. One of the characters is a Latina women who has had a child and is worried about passing along her heritage to her daughter.

This is something that has been an issue for me personally for a while. If anyone who is reading this isn't family (there might be a few right :) I was adopted from South America when I was a young child. Unfortunately, mostly due to my own neglect, I haven't done a good job of keeping a firm understanding of my heritage and background. For many reasons I was fine with that when I was growing up, but now that I have a child I feel like I have failed. Not that I am failing, or will fail, Harrison, though I feel that I am, but mostly that I have failed my birth parents. I don't remember anything about them, and that hurts, but the fact that I don't know anything them, about where I come from, and can't share that with my son so he can pass it on, hurts the most.

The answer is probably easy, study, learn, speak Spanish, but for some reason reading Este No Es Mi Dinosaurio, doesn't seem to cut it. So how do we pass along our heritage to our kids. How do we learn to appreciate who we are, while letting our kids learn and appreciate it on their own so they take pride and at least know where they come from?

No comments: