Thursday, July 31, 2008

Sign of the Times

There are moments in your life when you realize that you are entering a new phase. There are the obvious moments, like when you graduate from school, get married, have a child. These moments, while defining rarely sneak up on you. They are moments that despite their huge implications, are manageable because you have time to prepare, understand them, and accept them.

Then there are the other moments, the moments that sneak up on you subtly, like a summer cold. You're fine one minute, the next you're not quite sure what hit you.

IMG_1912

I am not sure how it happened. One minute we were talking about gas prices and the next minute we were comparing fold down seats, automatic sliding doors, and DVD systems (we opted out of that trap).

IMG_1907

Now, mind you, my experiences with minivans center mainly around those sweet old Dodge Caravans. The sticky sweet feel of vinyl trimmed seats, the long road trips spent on a cooler next to the door. Not because I wanted to, no, because I was the only one who wouldn't complain the whole way. So my view was either the back of the headrest or the flashing landscape out the sliding door window.

So, yeah, I guess this van is an upgrade to those vans and not because of any of the features. Rather because at least I know whatever happens, I'll be driving or sitting in the passenger seat and not "riding cooler" across the great American landscape.

IMG_1911

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well just to clarify:
Yes, you were the one who never complained about sitting on the huge bench-like cooler, but you had a plan!
Sitting on the cooler provided you the opportunity to LEAP out the sliding door and be first in line!....at Carl's Jr. or McDonald's for whatever quick & speedy carb-laden meal we'd allow you to have.

Ahh! If you miss the cooler Chris, we can haul it out of the basement next time you come home and you can
show Harrison how you used to sit in your straw cowboy hat and gaze out the window at deer & antelope.

If you behave yourself we'll let you be first in line for supper, too.

By the way..your new wheels are right pretty, mister. You got a straw 10 gallon hat to wear?

Unknown said...

Well I had to get to those awesome Fillet O' Fish Sandwiches :)

Anonymous said...

It's scary how the minivan situation creeps up. I'm still trying to convince myself that it's o.k. that I actually enjoy driving mine around. (You gotta admit there are some pretty sweet features in there). But it's nice to know that I'm not the only one caught a little off guard by the scenario.