Monday, June 09, 2008

Things I've Learned in One Year of Fatherhood

- That it's not about the lack of sleep it's about the interrupted sleep

- Even though you just changed an incredibly wet diaper, there is still more and it will get you the second you take the old one off

- The time spent washing bottles and baby clothes will roughly be the same amount of time you used to spend exercising, reading, watching t.v. etc.

- For the first six - nine months you will wonder when he will start moving, after that you will wonder why he won't stop moving

- That you ABSOLUTELY. MUST. TOUCH. EVERYTHING. YOU. SEE.

- That saying NO for the first time will break your heart and it barely gets easier the 2nd and 3rd time

- You realize that NO is good for both you and he

- That mommy is a saint for being a milk vendor for the first 8 months

- Somehow no matter what mom and I are talking about it will eventually come back to you and how cute you are

- That what you didn't know today is only temporary because you seem to learn something new everyday

- That coming to get you out of the crib and seeing you peek through the crib slats is one of the only reasons I don't mind getting out of bed at 6:00 AM on a Saturday

- That toys seem to reproduce nightly

- Riley really cherished being the only "child" and now resents your mother and I

- He doesn't resent you so much, especially now that you feed him from the high chair

- That I can't think of how you looked when you were first born, and that makes me a little sad

- That I know now, no matter what I do in life that it will never compare to being a father

- That I am scared everyday that I will screw this up

- I am comforted everyday knowing that your mother will be there to save me (and you) if I do

- That I can't wait to teach you to do so many things - and I am not sure where to start

- The best way to end a day is putting you to bed and kissing your sleepy little head good night

- Picking you up from the sitters is absolutely fantastic because you walk over and grab me around the neck

- That you have brought your mother and I closer than I could have ever imagined

- That I am thankful everyday for your sweet little soul, and I can't wait to see what lies ahead for our family

2 comments:

Dani said...

Chris, you made me cry.

Amy said...

Wow. I enjoyed reading this. I can't imagine what it will mean to Harrison someday to hear your thoughts. Inspires me to blog more than just the milestones.