Friday, September 28, 2007

Learning to Love America

Perfect Angels

I heard this poem on NPR's Writer's Almanac, and maybe it was Garrison Keillor's soothing tone, or maybe it was just the wonderfully written words, but I couldn't help but listen and feel a sort of connection to it. I am not an English major, nor smart enough to pull all of the meaning from it, but I couldn't get these lines out of my head:

because he is a strong American boy
because I have seen his eyes redden when he is asked who he is
because he answers I don’t know

because to have a son is to have a country
because my son will bury me here
because countries are in our blood and we bleed them


I know that Harrison will have a country and I know that he will love the opportunities given to him, just like we appreciate the opportunities given us, and I hope that he gets to experience the beauty of this land (and others too) and appreciates that his life, is shaped not by others, but by his aspirations and dreams alone.

No comments: